Quota policy service not rejecting messages when user over quota

james at lottspot.com james at lottspot.com
Fri Jul 17 01:42:50 UTC 2015

For some very odd reason, the quota-status service is failing to enforce
quotas. Every other aspect of my configuration is working with
absolutely no problems. When I attempt delivery via LTMP, the message
is, as expected, rejected due to the user's inbox being full.

root at smtp:/usr/local/etc/mail-config # nc -U
/var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp
< 220 mx0.lottspot.com Dovecot ready.
> LHLO localhost
< 250-mx0.lottspot.com
< 250-8BITMIME
< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
< 250 PIPELINING
> MAIL FROM:<root at localhost>
< 250 2.1.0 OK
> RCPT TO:<james at lottspot.vpn>
< 552 5.2.2 <james at lottspot.vpn> Quota exceeded (mailbox for user is
full)

The policy service however, just lets everything go right through. I
know that accessing the userdb is not an issue, because I passed a bogus
user before passing my real user and received the expected response.

root at smtp:/usr/local/etc/mail-config # nc -U
/var/spool/postfix/private/policy-quota
> recipient=noop at fake.tld

< action=551 User not found
<
> recipient=james at lottspot.vpn

< action=250 Quota status success
<

I'm using Dovecot 2.2.15, and I have included my quota configuration
below. If anyone wants to see full doveconf -n output, I can provide it,
but figured it was a bit much for this case. Thanks in advance for any
pointers!

--> Note: I'm the quota_status_* directives have been set as is for
testing purposes only. I'm fully aware not to do that in production.

plugin {
   quota = maildir:User quota
   quota_rule  = *:bytes=1G
   quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+10%%
   quota_status_success = "250 Quota status success"
   quota_status_nouser  = "551 User not found"
   quota_status_overquota = "552 5.2.2 Recipient mailbox is full"
}
service quota-status {
   executable = quota-status -p postfix
   unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/policy-quota {
     user  = postfix
     group = wheel
     mode  = 0666
   }