IMAP Folder Mail Separator

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 01:41:39 UTC 2015

Hi,

>> I have a fedora21 install with dovecot-2.2.18, and when creating a new
>> subfolder with thunderbird, the actual folder name is
>> "Folder1^Folder2" with a carat as a separator, instead of creating
>> Folder2 in the Folder1 directory.
>>
>> Is this a thunderbird problem? I don't recall having this problem
>> prior to upgrading to fedora21, so thought maybe it's a dovecot
>> problem.
>>
>> Maybe the separator character is customizable?
>

> please post your old and the current configuration:
>
> doveconf -n
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir
> and
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Listescape
>
> seems to apply in your situation.

Perhaps I'm just not understanding, but I've spent the last few days
reading through those links, and I just don't understand. I'm really
hoping my doveconf output will help. I've also understand this may be
a long-standing thunderbird bug, but it worked up until a few months
ago after a dovecot/fedora upgrade.

# 2.2.18: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 4.0.7-300.fc22.x86_64 x86_64 Fedora release 22 (Twenty Two)
default_client_limit = 2000
mail_gid = mail
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
mail_privileged_group = mail
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
  }
  process_min_avail = 20
  service_count = 0
}
service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 0
  }
  inet_listener pop3s {
    address = 192.168.1.100
    port = 995
  }
}
ssl_ca = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/ca-bundle.pem
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/orion-2015.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/orion-2015.key
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

Please let me know what other information I can provide to help
troubleshoot this.

Thanks,
Alex