Dovecot sends "OK Logged in" with empty tag

Simon Thelen foss-ml at c-14.de
Fri Jul 31 20:37:49 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm currently writing my own IMAP client and testing it against Dovecot,
and when doing PLAIN AUTH Dovecot sends the "OK Logged in" with an empty
tag at the start. I tried reproducing the conversation with netcat, but
Dovecot sends a correctly tagged OK at the end of the AUTH so I assume
it's timing related.

I've attached pcap dumps of the TCP conversation in both situations as
well as the output of dovecot -n.

Side Note:

Why does Dovecot send the updated capabilities before OK'ing the
authentication? Seems strange to me as the client can't assume that the
authentication proceeded successfully until it actually receives the OK
so it has to assume that those capabilities are pre login.

--
Simon Thelen