Outlook Express with XP...

SH Development listaccount at starionline.com
Mon Jun 1 23:27:54 UTC 2015

Dovecot 2.0.9

I am able to connect successfully with Thunderbird, Win 8, Apple Mail, iPhone, iPad.

Outlook Express on Win XP receives just fine, but will not send.  I get a "Client host rejected: Access denied” message.  I believe this is simply Postfix telling me the connection isn’t properly authenticated, as setting up the exact same credentials on another client (non OE) works.  It is only with OE on XP that I am unable to send/authenticate.

I have literally tried every combination of settings in OE and nothing works.  What else might I need to enable to get this working?

Using SSL, ports 993, 587 PLAINTEXT.

dovecot -n as follows:

# 2.0.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-504.16.2.el6.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS release 6.6 (Final) ext4
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_max_userip_connections = 50
namespace {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  prefix = INBOX.
  separator = .
  type = private
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf
  driver = sql
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-master {
    mode = 0600
    user = vmail
  }
  user = root
}
ssl_ca = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/intermediate.pem
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  args = uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/home/vmail/%d/%n allow_all_users=yes
  driver = static
}
protocol lda {
  auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
  log_path = /home/vmail/dovecot-deliver.log
  postmaster_address = postmaster at starionhost.net
}
protocol pop3 {
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv