Dovecot mbox & other programs

Pali Rohár pali.rohar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 17:01:29 UTC 2015

Hello,

I want to use dovecot as imap server with mbox storage format (described
at [1]) but I also want to access (and modify!) those mbox files which
are stored on server (and used by dovecot).

What is correct way to read those mboxes? From wiki page [1] I read that
I should ignore first message in mbox (which contains X-IMAPbase header)
and mbox file is in mboxcl2 format.

And what is correct way to modify that mbox file (which is used by
dovecot imap)? I would like to configure mutt on server to directly
access those mbox mailboxes without need to use imap protocol (over
localhost). It is possible without any data/message damage?

[1] - http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/mbox

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar at gmail.com