LDA versus LMTP

Daniel Tröder troeder at univention.de
Fri Jun 12 07:24:40 UTC 2015

Am 12.06.2015 um 05:27 schrieb Edgar Pettijohn III:

> On Jun 11, 2015, at 8:51 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 15:14:31 -0400, Ajai Khattri <symbiat at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Im using Dovecot for LMTP for all my mail users, since this way they are
>>> completely virtual (i.e. dont need to have a local account at all), all
>>> mail gets delivered to Maildirs owned by dovecot. Also LMTP makes it easier
>>> to insert scripts and do any custom processing which presumably is where
>>> Sieve comes in. Its also pretty easy to setup.
>>
>> Sounds like that's what I should be doing. OK, so how is Dovecot told
>> to use LMTP instead of LDA? I must not be understanding something
>> about what's in either 15-lda.conf or 20-lmtp.conf.
>
> You have to configure your mta to deliver to lmtp instead of lda.
Just follow the instructions in
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixDovecotLMTP and it should just
work(TM).

In case you want to use the Dovecots SASL implementation instead of
Cyrus' (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL), I did
additionally add this to my Postfix main.cf
----
smtp_sasl_type = dovecot
lmtp_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot