Imap Notify

Tony Morehen tmorehen at ajmconsulting.ca
Fri Jun 12 19:38:02 UTC 2015

I'm trying to enable Imap Notify in Dovecot 2.2.13.  I know that's a bit
out of date, but that's what's provided with openSuSe 13.2.

The first thing I did was add mailbox_list_index=yes to
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf.
Both doveadm -n and dovecot -n show the change.  I then used doveadm
reload to force dovecot to reread its config file.

Despite this, NOTIFY did not show up it Dovecot's capabilities:

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
IDLE AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

I then did a systemctl restart dovecot.service and still no luck:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
IDLE AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

I also have noticed that the Maildirs of my various accounts include a
dovecot.list.index file with a current timestamp, but no dovecot.list.index.

So, where do I go for here?

The output of doveadm -n:

# 2.2.13: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.16.7-21-desktop x86_64 openSUSE 13.2 (x86_64)
disable_plaintext_auth = no
log_path = /var/log/dovecot/dovecot.log
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_max_userip_connections = 50
mailbox_list_index = yes
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave
passdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/passwd.dovecot
   driver = passwd-file
}
postmaster_address = Tony at localhost
protocols = imap lmtp
service auth {
   unix_listener auth-master {
     group = mailgrp
     mode = 0660
     user = mailuser
   }
}
service lmtp {
   executable = lmtp -L
   inet_listener lmtp {
     address = 127.0.0.1
     port = 2525
   }
   user = mailuser
}
ssl = no
userdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/passwd.dovecot
   driver = passwd-file
}
protocol imap {
   imap_client_workarounds = tb-extra-mailbox-sep
}
protocol pop3 {
   mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
}
protocol lda {
   log_path = /var/log/dovecot/deliver.log
   mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib64/dovecot/modules
   mail_plugins = sieve
}
protocol lmtp {