Orphaned email boxes...

admin admin at awib.it
Sat Jun 13 09:05:53 UTC 2015

Am Freitag, den 12.06.2015, 23:04 -0500 schrieb SH Development:
> Yes, that is the format I’m using.  Just didn’t know if there was a dovecot command that should be used.  Just making sure before I start rm’ing stuff.
>
> Jeff
>

> > On Jun 12, 2015, at 7:02 PM, admin <admin at awib.it> wrote:
> >
> > Am Freitag, den 12.06.2015, 15:57 -0500 schrieb SH Development:
> >> What is the correct way to delete mailboxes that no longer have a database entry?
> >>
> >> Jeff
> >
> > What format are you using to store mails? Are you using Maildir?
> > Then it should just be as easy as to simply rm the user's folder - in my
> > case '/var/mail/domain.xy/user', which always worked out for me.
> >
> > -M

Actually there is something that might be what you are looking for:

        Mailbox Delete

        doveadm mailbox delete [-A|-u user|-F file] [-S socket_path]
        [-s] mailbox ...

        This command deletes a mailbox and expunges all the messages it
        contains. If the mailbox has any children, they won't be
        deleted.
        When the -s option is present, the deleted mailboxes will be
        also unsubscribed.
        (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Mailbox)

But I never used it. Actually tried once but if I remember correctly it
did not work for some reason - could have been related to the inability
to find the mailbox in the DB, as I - like you already did - removed the
mailbox from the DB. But I think the above command is meant to be used
for active, non-orphaned mailboxes.

However I still have 7z'ed backups of my deleted mailboxes that I store
for some months until I have the feeling that also their time has come.