Non-Existent Log File

Steve Matzura number6 at noisynotes.com
Sat Jun 13 12:00:30 UTC 2015

My /var/log/maillog was getting pretty big because of lots of testing
and re-configuring I've been doing lately with both Dovecot and
Postfix. I figured just remove /var/log/maillog and it would be
re-created. It wasn't--not by Dovecot, not by Postfix. I had to
manually create a new one, put one character in it, save it, properly
secure it with chmod, and then Dovecot (and postfix) messages got
written to it. This can't possibly be the proper procedure to clear
maillog messages ... can it?