LDA versus LMTP

Bertrand Caplet bertrand.caplet at chunkz.net
Sat Jun 13 14:10:09 UTC 2015

>>> Sounds like that's what I should be doing. OK, so how is Dovecot told
>>> to use LMTP instead of LDA? I must not be understanding something
>>> about what's in either 15-lda.conf or 20-lmtp.conf.
>>
>> You have to configure your mta to deliver to lmtp instead of lda.
>
> So this gets done in Postfix then?

Hi,
the main differences LDA can be used thru unix socket or TCP socket.
TCP socket can be used for multiple smtp servers deliver to an unique
dovecot server.
And LMTP is easier to debug and put info in headers like this :

	by lmtp02.chunkz.net (Dovecot) with LMTP id JoInCcG8elUUUgAAt5Imuw
	for <bertrand.caplet at chunkz.net>; Fri, 12 Jun 2015 13:04:34 +0200

This also been answered on Postfix ml see here :
http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/Dovecot-LDA-vs-LMTP-td53411.html

Regards,
--
CHUNKZ.NET - script kiddie and computer technician
Bertrand Caplet, Flers (FR)