Mail to nowhere

Richard lists-dovecot at listmail.innovate.net
Tue Jun 16 17:31:07 UTC 2015

> Date: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 01:13:47 PM -0400
> From: Steve Matzura <number6 at noisynotes.com>
>
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:27:58 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> No attempt to deliver almost always means either:
>> - a DNS problem; the sender can't find the destination, or finds
>> the "wrong" destination.
>
> That would be interesting, since I tried both the actual IP address
> and the DNS name for the test node. Neither message got through.
>
>> - a connectivity problem; the sender can't connect to the
>> destination.  Possibly a firewall not open.
>
> Now there's a possibility, but I am not aware of running any
> firewall on the remote machine.

By default, most MTAs only listen to localhost, so don't accept
externally derived mail. Try telnetting to port 25 on the machine
from some place off your machine's network. If you get a "hang",
it's likely a firewall issue. If you get a "connection refused"
message it's probably that the MTA isn't listening on the external
interface.

If the MTA responds, do a manual delivery exchange and see what you
get.

If you're not seeing anything in your maillog, this is very likely
an issue with your MTA's configuration, not dovecot.