"Sensible" location for Sieve scripts

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Fri Jun 26 15:40:35 UTC 2015

On 6/26/2015 5:48 AM, Andrew Beverley wrote:
> I'm configuring some Sieve scripts for virtual users. I'd like to keep
> the Sieve scripts somewhere "sensible".
>
> Currently, all the mail goes into /var/mail/vhosts/<domain>/<mailbox>
>
> So I thought a good place for the sieve script might be in there as
> well, for example:
>
> /var/mail/vhosts/example.com/username/sieve
>
> Is there any reason *not* to store the sieve scripts in the same
> location as the mail?

This is how I'm doing it.  I'm running version 1.2.15.  All users are
virtual, stored in mysql, this is where mail goes:

mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%u/

There are a few config lines that handle sieve scripts:

in the "protocol lda" section:
  sieve_global_path = /home/vmail/global.sieve

in the "plugin" section:
  sieve=/home/vmail/sieve/%d/%u/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir=/home/vmail/sieve/%d/%u/sieve

I am using managesieve.  There's a sieve plugin in my squirrelmail
install so users can manage their filters.

Thanks,
Shawn