IP drop list

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Mar 1 22:20:09 UTC 2015

Am 01.03.2015 um 23:16 schrieb Dave McGuire:
> On 03/01/2015 04:25 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>> I wonder if there is an easy way to provide dovecot a flat text
>>> file of ipv4 #'s which should be ignored or dropped?
>>>
>>> I have accumulated 45,000+ IPs which routinely try dictionary
>>> and 12345678 password attempts. The file is too big to create
>>> firewall drops, and I don't want to compile with wrappers *if*
>>> dovecot has an easy ability to do this. If dovecot could parse a
>>> flat text file of IPs and drop connections it would sure put a
>>> dent in these attempts.
>>
>> hence i asked month ago for RBL support because such lists are easy
>> to feed into http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/rbldnsd.html - sadly i got no
>> reply than use fail2ban and what not irrelevant if there is already
>> a local dnsbl
>>
>> i guess for a C-programmer it takes not much more than 10 minutens
>> include a config option to list rbl servers and close connections
>> absed on the DNS responses
>
>    I've been asking for this off-and-on for years, and people
> immediately parrot back "just use fail2ban".  I think fail2ban is a
> nice idea and all, but that suggestion assumes that I use iptables (I
> don't), I run firewalls on my servers (I don't; I run them on routers)
> and that I run Linux on my mail server (I don't).
>
>    The other side of this equation, Postfix, has had this capability
> for years.  Why it hasn't been added to dovecot is a mystery.  It's
> the only thing (really, the ONLY thing!) that I dislike about dovecot

even if you use Linux, Firewalls and what not

* postfix supports RBL's in several ways on the MTA
* mod_security and so webservers support RBL's
* RBL's are *centralized*
* DNS queries, especially in a LAN, are cheap

everybody answering with fail2ban if someone asks for RBL support has no
clue what he is talking about because he did not get the question