userdb passwd-file default_fields uid not expanding %variable

Tim Jones tim.jones at fon.com
Mon Mar 2 08:12:44 UTC 2015

> Putting aside the question, whether or not %d is/should be expanded in
> default_fields = uid=%d gid=%d
> couldn't or shouldn't you place the correct numerical ids in the file
> anyway?

The issue is, and maybe this was a bad requirement on my part, that
each domains' mailbox is owned by the user associated with that
domain. I don't have a global 'virtualmail' user that handles the
mailboxes. Each 'domain' hosted on the server is a system user, with
their own PHP instance, Python virtualenv etc, and maildir inside
$HOME. So until the client issues a log in, I don't know which uid\gid
to assign to them.

Many thanks,

Tim Jones
Software Development
+34 612345678
C/ Quintanavides 15, Edificio 2, Planta 1ª
Parque Empresarial Vía Norte de Metrovacesa
Las Tablas
28050 Madrid
Skype: tim.jones.fon
All information in this email is confidential