IP drop list

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Mar 2 10:07:12 UTC 2015

Am 02.03.2015 um 11:02 schrieb Jochen Bern:
> On 03/01/2015 08:53 AM, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>> I wonder if there is an easy way to provide dovecot a flat text file of
>> ipv4 #'s which should be ignored or dropped?
>>
>> I have accumulated 45,000+ IPs which routinely try dictionary and
>> 12345678 password attempts. The file is too big to create firewall
>> drops [...]
>
> The inherent assumption here is that dovecot, using a "flat file", will
> be able to process the block list more effectively than the firewall,
> which is a tool written for the *purpose* but supposedly unable to even
> *try* due to the list's size. That sounds ... counterintuitive

* it's unmaintainable on firewall level
* it's waste of ressources because it is *packet based*
* hence a RBL would make so much more sense

for rbldnsd it don't matter if 100, 1000, 10000, 10000000 addresses or
even cidr-ranges are listed because the check is always *one* cheap dns
request for the IP conencting at the moment