IP drop list

Oliver Welter mail at oliwel.de
Tue Mar 3 21:31:12 UTC 2015

Am 03.03.2015 um 12:40 schrieb Dave McGuire:

>>>   My firewall can handle that without breaking a sweat.  I just haven't
>>> found a way (that I'm comfortable with) to automatically inject rules
>>> into it from a machine on the network.
>>>
>>>   Doing it via a DNSBL is an elegant solution to the problem, IMO.
>>
>> I'm agnostic as far as which method you want to use.  All I'm saying is
>> that using dovecot's allow_net facility is as difficult, if not
>> more so, than letting your firewall handle it.
>
>    I'm not disagreeing with you.  As I stated above, getting new rules
> into my firewall in an automated way is not something I've found a good
> way to do yet.  Granted, it has been a couple of years since I've
> googled around to see if anyone has been able to do it in a reasonably
> secure way.  (Perhaps it's time for me to revisit that.)

I did a quick hack for exactly this purpose - send offending IPs from my
mail server to the firewall "in a secure way". Its a python script that
uses the fail2ban syntax on the one end and feeds a (patched) pfSense on
the other end. You can find the scripts on github:
https://github.com/oliwel/fail2sense - be warned, its a first draft -
but it does the job here...For the unblock feature you need this patch
against pfsense https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense/pull/1444/

Oli

--
Protect your environment -  close windows and adopt a penguin!