IP drop list

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Mar 4 16:36:19 UTC 2015

Am 04.03.2015 um 17:06 schrieb Jochen Bern:
> On 03/04/2015 05:03 AM, Earl Killian wrote:
>> I would like to reiterate Reindl Harald's point above, since subsequent
>> discussion has gotten away from it. If Dovecot had DNS RBL support
>> similar to Postfix, I think quite a few people would use it, and thereby
>> defeat the scanners far more effectively than any other method. It is
>> good that other people are suggesting things that will work today, but
>> in terms of what new feature would be the best solution, I can't think
>> of one better than a DNS RBL.
>
> I've *seen* mailservers after an external DNSBL configured into them
> became defunct or unreachable, and "better", much less "the best
> solution", is not how *I* would rank the result in comparison to local
> rate limiting. (Note that, unlike in the case of spam and SMTP, allowing
> a couple POP/IMAP connection attempts until the limit strikes is
> unlikely to become visible to the legit userbase.)
>
> Which is not to say that such a feature should not be implemented -
> after all, Jim said that he compiled the 45k list *himself*, so it would
> be a *locally administered* DNSBL for him.

surely - and *that* was my whole point, nobody talked about using
spamhaus or DUL RBL's on a IMAP/POP3

my feature request last year was *because i have* already a rbldnsd
which is used in postfix and on webserver with mod_security and i find
it strange that i can't stop a dictionary attack faced on SMTP to
continue on POP3/IMAP after locked out from postfix without write
firewall rules

the whole point of a *locally administered* RBL is that you don't need
to care about hown many mailservers you have and where they are nor need
you to open security holes between them for sharing data