IP drop list

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Mar 4 20:45:45 UTC 2015

On 03/04/2015 03:37 PM, Oliver Welter wrote:

>>> Please add this support to iptables instead of Dovecot. It's a waste of
>>> effort to code it into every application that listens on the network.
>>
>>    <head explodes>
>>
>>    Would you care to integrate it into IOS on my Cisco as well?
>>
>>    There are things connected to the Internet that aren't PCs running
>> Linux, you know.  It may be hard to accept, but that's the way it is.
>>
> I assume your dovecot runs on some kind of *nix

  Of course.  I run it under Solaris.

> so there should be some
> sort of netfilter available which you can put in front of your listening
> ports.

  There is.  But I already have a firewall, running on bulletproof
hardware that doesn't depend on spinning disks.  I don't want to add
ANOTHER firewall when I already have a perfectly good one.  Besides, my
mail server is built for...serving mail.  Not being a firewall.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ/3
New Kensington, PA