Outlook 2013/2010 nightmare

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 05:27:02 UTC 2015

"David.M.Clark" <david at davrom.com> writes:

> I do have some customers using Outlook or Windows Live Mail, and these
> are for the most part working fine with IMAP - I don't do POP.
> The issue starts when you add an IMAP user to the Outlook client and
> upon opening it, initially, it tries to find a "Sent" Items folder under
> IMAP to send from. To this end I have traditionally gone into the
> dialogue box that opens, click on the IMAP account to receive a list of
> possible folders, but it now immediately crashes indicating Outlook has
> had an error, and it all goes to hell from there. Outlook then cannot
> open but keeps crashing with its "unknown error".
> Up to last week at another site with Windows Live Mail, this was not an
> issue.

Just a shot in the dark, but have you enabled the workarounds?

 	http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Clients

Some clients like, like Outlook, have known problems which dovecot can dance
around.  in 20-imap.conf

 	# Workarounds for various client bugs:
 	#   delay-newmail:
 	#     Send EXISTS/RECENT new mail notifications only when replying to NOOP
 	#     and CHECK commands. Some clients ignore them otherwise, for example OSX
 	#     Mail (<v2.1). Outlook Express breaks more badly though, without this it
 	#     may show user "Message no longer in server" errors. Note that OE6 still
 	#     breaks even with this workaround if synchronization is set to
 	#     "Headers Only".
 	#   tb-extra-mailbox-sep:
 	#     Thunderbird gets somehow confused with LAYOUT=fs (mbox and dbox) and
 	#     adds extra '/' suffixes to mailbox names. This option causes Dovecot to
 	#     ignore the extra '/' instead of treating it as invalid mailbox name.
 	#   tb-lsub-flags:
 	#     Show \Noselect flags for LSUB replies with LAYOUT=fs (e.g. mbox).
 	#     This makes Thunderbird realize they aren't selectable and show them
 	#     greyed out, instead of only later giving "not selectable" popup error.
 	#
 	# The list is space-separated.
 	imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>