Support for multiple passwords?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Mar 18 20:00:02 UTC 2015

Am 18.03.2015 um 20:56 schrieb Conrad Kostecki:
> Am 2015-03-18 20:46, schrieb Reindl Harald:
>> Am 18.03.2015 um 20:40 schrieb Conrad Kostecki:
>>> Hi!
>>> Currently, the passwords are stored in plaintext for my dovecot, as I am
>>> still using cram-md5 AND digest-md5.
>>> I have still to offer that, as I have some deprecated clients,
>>> therefore, I am unable to hash at least those passwords for that
>>> accounts.
>>>
>>> I've found on the Wiki:
>>>
>>> Is there any news about this? Are there still any plans to support this
>>> maybe in future?
>>> For my understanding, that would solve my problem, that I could define a
>>> password in both schemes (cram and digest) and don't have to use
>>> plaintext password?
>>
>> if you would read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRAM-MD5 and understand
>> how CRAM-MD5 works you would know that you just can't store cram
>> because the whole purpose is that it changes all the time
>
> Maybe I am totally wrong,
> but according to the Wiki, if I would be use using CRAM-MD5 without
> DIGEST-MD5, the password could be stored not in plain text but instead
> in a cram-md5 scheme?
> At least, that had worked for me in a test setup. But I will have a look.

only in a broken and unsecure implementation - or how do you store
"arbitrary string of random digits, a timestamp"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CRAM-MD5

Challenge: The server sends a base64-encoded string to the client.
Before encoding, it could be any random string, but the standard that
currently defines CRAM-MD5 says that it is in the format of a Message-ID
email header value (including angle brackets) and includes an arbitrary
string of random digits, a timestamp, and the server's fully qualified
domain name.