fast doveadm search results

Vu Ngoc VU vvu at mcra.fr
Fri Mar 20 08:37:34 UTC 2015

> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 02:05:48
> From: Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>
> To: dovecot at dovecot.org
> Subject: Re: fast doveadm search results
>
> Steffen Kaiser writes:
>
>> e.g. put message-id into mail_always_cache_fields
>>
>> - From http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot-cvs/2013-May/023261.html
>>
>> lib-storage: Allow mail_*cache_fields settings to specify any hdr.* fields
>
> ... but I belatedly wrote ...
ahah, in France, we says "that happens"

>> Maybe you can even add these items into the cache upon delivery,
>> but someone more knowlegable than I would have to help you with that.
>
> The drawback of getting thing in digest form -- you look like a boob
> when answering late.  I defer to Steffen's superior knowledge.

Don't blame yourself. It's not a problem to me receiving twice same answer.
I prefer more to less :) (not about unix tools)

But to answer your questions, I'm not really interested in purging the cache data.
I just think that cache has expiration delay.
The only point is to get this "doveadm search" answering me in minutes instead of hours.
Writing my original post, I didn't get if it was slow because of:
- data I'm searching are not cached at all? (headers like From, Date, Message-ID...)
=> I wanted to know if dovecot allows to add some headers.
Stephen answered to that question.
- these data a cache, but for an extremely short time, like the user session
=> that's why I asked if it is possible to extend cache validity to at least 48h.
But for sure, if these data remain forever, it'll be better ! :)
- NFS limitations
=> do I have to re-install dovecot on my NFS servers? I prefer not.