IMAP ANNOTATE Extension RFC5257: priority on roadmap

Florian Sager sager at agitos.de
Sat Mar 21 08:14:22 UTC 2015

Hi Timo,

congrats to the merger with OX.

Currently the implementation of RFC 5257, ANNOTATE-EXPERIMENT-1, has
only low priority on http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Roadmap
I want to explain a scenario that would benefit from annotation support
to - maybe - increase the priority in your roadmap:

I'm currently working on a project to publish bank customer related
documents inside a banking webinterface (they call it 'postbox').

There are different requirements that would be satisfied very well by an
IMAP server as data storage/provider for a long term email/document
archive inside the bank.

Annotations would be necessary to tag emails with customer numbers and
document IDs to allow a delayed grouping of several emails by such
identifiers (message IDs may not be available for references so
annotations have to be used to compute references indirectly).
Same for sorting and filtering by customer number or account number.

I would highly appreciate if you at Dovecot could increase the priority
of ANNOTATE in your roadmap.

Best regards,
Florian

--

Agitos GmbH
Emil-Geis-Straße 40
E-Mail: support at agitos.de
Web: http://www.agitos.de

Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRB 213590
Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Florian Sager
Ust-Identifikationsnummer: DE296114074