Dovecot Oy merger with Open-Xchange AG

Philipp e1c1bac6253dc54a1e89ddc046585792 at posteo.net
Mon Mar 23 17:34:21 UTC 2015

Am 23.03.2015 15:08 schrieb Andreas Kasenides:
> I am usually emotionally (at least) against of open-source projects
> loosing their independence to large corporations. Possibly due to bad
> experiences in the past when OSS were driven from Open to Obscure in
> the process of trying to make money out of them.

2ct from me--

I put it this way: if dovecot would have been a "pure" OSS before
getting bought
OAX, then response might would've been different.

But Dovecot OY is "making money out of it" for how long now? Five years
- and
that's not only "selling support".
Nginx went the same path - I'd say even more aggressive, given feature
set differences.

Timo and his team has shown that they care about their OSS tree, e.g. do
you
really think all that replication and director "stuff" came from pure
boredom?
Show me OSS for cyrus, courier, .. on that level of "enterprisey".

Timo clearly wrote that this company merge is about putting together the
PAID services efforts (think hotlines and such) and not mangling OX and
dovecot
into some "blob" (well, might happen one day in the future, but you
would never
know about *any* OSS unless you find a crystal globe telling you).

If my customers are reluctant to move IMAP servers to dovecot, because
for now
they have/had OX+whatever.. well, what better argument could one have
then:
Did you know that they are one company and have shared support now? ..

Just thinkin' and sayin'.