Dovecot Oy merger with Open-Xchange AG

Andreas Kasenides andreas.kasenides at cs.ucy.ac.cy
Wed Mar 25 21:46:26 UTC 2015

I hate to have started this, especially the "sister" thread that has
dissented into a flame war of what is OSS.

Let me say that I believe there is nothing wrong trying to make money on
ones efforts. Actually it is a must. How can anyone continue to put
efforts into a project when there is no reward? Especially when most of
the effort is by a single individual. Secondly there comes a point in
time when any project needs help to advance. Any one individual will be
unable to manage all the things that need to be done. It will either
become a team effort of individuals employed elsewhere or somehow enter
the commercial sector in some form. Both of these models have many
examples out there and in the mean time maintaining their OSS root and
community.

What I was mostly worried about was a sudden and rapid commercialization
of the project in such a way that it completely disappears from the OSS
community. I will give you an extreme example that we had the pleasure
to be involved as payed customers and debugging contributors:
KnowledgeTree DMS.  If you do not know the story you will simply not
find it. After years of the community contributing to the project a
sudden shift to complete commercialization destroyed the project
entirely: ie sourceforge project closed, source code disappeared,
mailing lists vanished even the domain name name closed down. If it
wasn't for third party storage/downloading sites the project source code
would have been practically non-existent. I consider such behavior
firstly immoral since a project's success is not only its design but
largely also its debugging, mostly done by thousands of unknown helpers
writing their experiences and problems in mailing lists.

I hope Timo manages well, keeps the community going but also makes a
living (or a ton of money ) out of Dovecot. He deserves it. It is not
impossible, others have done so successfully.