IMAP ANNOTATE Extension RFC5257: priority on roadmap

Peter Chiochetti pch at myzel.net
Fri Mar 27 10:36:13 UTC 2015

Am 2015-03-22 um 18:06 schrieb Timo Sirainen:
> On 21 Mar 2015, at 10:14, Florian Sager <sager at agitos.de> wrote:
>>
>> I would highly appreciate if you at Dovecot could increase the
>> priority of ANNOTATE in your roadmap.
>
> ANNOTATE is
> something that I'd like to implement at some point, but it's also
> quite a large change and likely will have to wait until Dovecot v2.3.

Ideally, and of course, I speak from my personal point of view,
annotations should be something, that SOLR would index according to its
own mapping, which I am in control of.

Use case: incoming mails here are not directly answered in the MUA, but
some third party software creates outgoing emails, with a formal yet
unique subject; inbound messages could then be /tagged/ with the same
identifier and a single search would yield the complete correspondence…

Basically, adding a header to a message would do my job as well, but
seems to contradict with what IMAP seems to be about: preserving
messages unadulterated, which is a noble goal indeed.

OTOH, no hurry, client support of ANNOTATE is not there yet either (at
least in Thunderbird).

--
peter