v2.2.17 release candidate released

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 10 07:47:49 UTC 2015

On 10 May 2015, at 06:19, Reuben Farrelly <reuben-dovecot at reub.net> wrote:

> I'm now seeing these crashes in the indexing code:
>
> May 10 12:22:32 tornado.reub.net dovecot: master: Dovecot v2.2.17.rc1 (3903badc4ee0+) starting up for imap, lmtp, sieve
> May 10 13:07:50 tornado.reub.net dovecot: indexer: Error: Indexer worker disconnected, discarding 1 requests for reuben
> May 10 13:07:50 tornado.reub.net dovecot: indexer-worker(reuben): Fatal: master: service(indexer-worker): child 18532 killed with signal 11 (core not dumped)
>
> Every time a delivery happens or mail is moved the indexer crashes out.  It doesn't seem to have any visible end user impact though.

What's your current doveconf -n output? I did a quick test with fts-lucene and it was working.

> How do I go about debugging this further?  How do I go about getting a backtrace on what is essentially a child process that doesn't produce a core?  (Note that my installation normally does produce cores when it crashes, so there's something different about these indexer processes..)

One thing that often works is:

mkdir /var/core; chmod 0777 /var/core
echo "/var/core/%p" > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern

If that doesn't help, you can also try: sysctl -w fs.suid_dumpable=2
(and disable afterwards)

Also if you can get indexer-worker to start without crashing (new mail delivery works?) you can attach gdb into it and wait for it to crash (gdb -p <indexer-worker pid>, cont).