Dovecot is not reading connections from iOS devices correctly. Any ideas?

Robert Chalmers racuk12 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:34:42 UTC 2015

 From the dovecot logs.

dovecot-info.log
May 11 09:27:45 imap-login: Info: Aborted login (no auth attempts in 0
secs): user=<>, rip=192.168.0.1, lip=192.168.0.15,
session=<pXcBJ8oVbgDAqAAB>

dovecot-debug.log
May 11 09:27:45 auth: Debug: auth client connected (pid=17388)

When I try to connect using either the iOS Mail app, or Outlook mail
app, nothing happens at al with ssl, and if I use plain login the iOS
device tells me I have either the username or password wrong - which I
haven't.

Connection from Mac with MailMate works fine. iOS doesn't.

so I'm stumped. I can't see why this is refusing the connection.