Can email be shared between POP3 and shell account access?

Steve Matzura number6 at noisynotes.com
Thu May 21 14:25:30 UTC 2015

I needed to receive a message to admin at mydomain.com. I waited and
waited for it, but it never showed up in the admin mailbox on the
mydomain.com machine. So I looked for the admin account in
/etc/dovecot.passwd, and there it was, plain-text password and all! I
set up a retrieval system for the admin POP3 account and got all the
messages I was waiting for, not to mention about 20 that I wasn't,
which were obviously old and discardable. This got me to thinking, is
it possible to have an account accessible not just via POP3 from the
ouside, but through mail/mailx on the inside, and if so, how is that
set up?