Problem with permissions of the logfile

Andreas Meyer a.meyer at nimmini.de
Fri Nov 6 16:43:29 UTC 2015

Hello!

To stay on the list.

"S. Muthu Kumar" <ksmutthu at gmail.com> schrieb am 06.11.15 um 21:49:32 Uhr:

> log_path here means the logging channel path. It refers to the logger
> daemon to use to generate logs.
>
> Most of the linux/unix based applications prefer to use common system
> logger to take care of writing the logs preferably under /var/log/ as
> there are other structures(like rotating those logs periodically).
>
> do refer to man pages of syslog.conf or rsyslog.conf and see how you
> can generate individual log files for devecot via (r)syslog daemon
> while you have delegated dovecot logging responsibility to (r)syslog.

I must admit I don't understand what is going on. I am running rsyslog
on two servers and on both servers version 2.2.13 of dovecot.

On the first I set log_path = /var/log/dovecot1 with
-rw------- 1 root   root   1093533  6. Nov 17:24 dovecot1
in /var/log and everthing is fine.

If I do this on the newly set up server, dovecot does not start.

Ofcourse I could set it up to log to syslog and prepare rsyslog.conf
but why is it so?

Regards

  Andreas