Problem with permissions of the logfile

S. Muthu Kumar ksmutthu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 02:21:39 UTC 2015

because linux/application developers think it is the best way to do,
some of which I can think of

(r)syslog provides a centralized log handling mechanisms like in case
you want to collect all your servers logs to get them
digested/analyzed in one place for better monitoring of your servers,

other reason is to have the failure file permissions and other
situations to be handled by (r)syslog rather the application suffering
to start because the log file is not there or needed permissions are
not there.

While rotating logs copytruncate is not the default rotating method
configured in logrotate. In that case you end up maintain log rotate
configuration too if you want your application to handle writing its
logs and to avoid service restart.

Am sure there are many other use cases which is worth using (r)syslog
to handle log writing.