doveadm import/sync with read-only source location

Teodor Milkov tm at del.bg
Tue Nov 17 08:35:11 UTC 2015

Hello,

Currently doveadm tool can't be used with read-only source locations
because it's trying to create lock files.

I'd guess lock files shouldn't be necessary on a read-only media,
because no one else is going to change anything while our doveadm
instance is running anyway. Example:

doveadm import -u test at example.com
maildir:/backup.0/domains/example.com/postmaster/Maildir restored ALL
doveadm(test at example.com): Error:
open(/backup.0/domains/example.com/postmaster/Maildir/.Trash/dovecot-uidlist.lock)
failed: Read-only file system

Perhaps this should be something like doveadm backup -R flag, but in the
opposite direction – i.e. we have a [full] backup command, but no
[partial] restore command right now. Or am I missing something?

Best regards,
Teodor