doveadm-search-query pattern format

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Oct 17 08:18:36 UTC 2015

> On 17 Oct 2015, at 03:05, Frank-Ulrich Sommer <f-u.s at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> the doveadm-search-query documentation specifies a 'pattern'  for many search keys. Unfortunately it does not mention the format specification of this pattern (special characters, wildcards, ...). I'm using dovecot 2.2.9 but also searched the current documention on dovecot.org.
>
> Where can I find further documentation concerning the exact specification of the pattern format?

Well, it's basically copying the IMAP standard here, which specifies that searching happens with substring matching. Although if you have full text search enabled, it may be matching only full words. In any case it's just a text string and there is no wildcard support, so maybe "pattern" is the wrong word..