events

Frederik Bosch | Genkgo f.bosch at genkgo.nl
Wed Oct 21 15:07:52 UTC 2015

Hello,

We want to trigger a script after certain actions by the user (event).
This script inserts the action into message queue (e.g. Rabbit MQ)
accompanied with some data. Then one or more workers picks up the action
from the message queue and do something with it. The question is: how
can I trigger the script from dovecot?

An action/event should at least emitted when moving an e-mail message.
The amount of data in the event is unknown. My current goal I would like
to at least know the sender and receiver address and the type of action
(e.g. move). But I can imagine, when having an event driven application,
that others might even want the complete e-mail message to be in data.

Is such an event driven system possible? When looking at current
features of Dovecot: it would the same as the mail_log feature, but
instead of writing to a file, one should able to write to a script or
socket. Ideally the format of the event would JSON, XML or another data
format.

Regards,
Frederik

Current version: Dovecot 2.2.16.