Maildir: ACLs/Unix perms and unable to see content of specific mailbox

Christian Kivalo ml+dovecot at valo.at
Sat Sep 19 17:22:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 2015-09-19 16:17, Olaf Marzocchi wrote:
> [...]
> dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.error] imap(olaf): Error:
> unlink(/tank/home/olaf/Maildir/subscriptions.lock) failed: Permission
> denied
> dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.error] imap(olaf): Error:
> rename(/tank/home/olaf/Maildir/subscriptions.lock,
> /tank/home/olaf/Maildir/subscriptions) failed: Permission denied
>
> I will post here the current permissions of the folder containing
> Maildir, of the Maildir itself, of its contents, and of the folder
> that appears empty when browsed with a client (Thunderbird).
>
> /tank/home/olaf $ ls -lV ..
> drwx------+ 16 olaf     olaf          17 Sep 19 01:52 olaf
>               user:olaf:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
>        group:2147483648:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
>               everyone@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:deny
>
> /tank/home/olaf $ ls -lV
> drwxrwx--- 348 olaf     olaf         359 Sep 19 01:51 Maildir
>                  owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
>                  group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
>               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow
>
> /tank/home/olaf $ ls -lV Maildir/
> drwxrwx---   2 olaf     olaf           2 Jan 30  2014 cur
>                  owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
>                  group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
>               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow
> -rwxrwx---   1 olaf     olaf          21 Jan 30  2014 dovecot-keywords
>                  owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
>                  group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
>               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow
> (ALL THE SAME PERMISSIONS FOR THE OTHER FILES EXCEPT...)
> -rwxrwx---   1 olaf     olaf       13735 Jan 24  2015 subscriptions
>                  owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
>                  group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
>               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow
> -rw-rw----   1 olaf     olaf       13709 Sep 19 01:51
> subscriptions.lock
>                  owner@:rw-p--aARWcCos:-------:allow
>                  group@:rw-p--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
>               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow
>
> The folder that appears empty:
>
> /tank/home/olaf $ ls -lV Maildir/.Generiche/
> total 513
> drwxrwx---   2 olaf     olaf         949 Sep 18 01:42 cur
>                  owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
>                  group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
>               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow
> -rwxrwx---   1 olaf     olaf          46 May 18  2014 dovecot-keywords
>                  owner@:rwxp--aARWcCos:-------:allow
>                  group@:rwxp--a-R-c--s:-------:allow
>               everyone@:------a-R-c--s:-------:allow
> (ALL THE SAME PERMISSIONS FOR THE OTHER FILES)
>

> I really hope you will have the time to help me because I already
> applied the permissions recursively and I removed the ACLs, almost as
> it was before my mistake.
> I specified "almost" because originally (I checked the backups) the
> Maildir folder had an ACL that gave access permissions also to the
> group "mail":
>
> drwxrwx---+349 olaf     olaf         359 Feb 16  2014 Maildir
>              group:mail:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
>                  owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd----I:allow
>                  group@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd----I:allow
>               everyone@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd----I:deny
>
> Yesterday I haven't replicated it because from the documentation I

 From my view the permissions seem to be set correctly, i have to admin,
its been a while since i moved to virtual users so i may be wrong
here...

The log output also seems to support that permissions are correct.

Have you tried adding the group:mail:.... ACLs back?

Have you set mail_debug=yes or other more verbose logging settings?
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Logging

> My questions, in short:
> - what are the permissions I need to give to the Maildir folder? I
> understood from the documentation it's 700, with my user/group (the
> one of the user accessing the mail). What about ACLs? and what about
> group "mail"?
> - the (only!) subfolder which appears empty in Thunderbird, may it
> depend on the permissions? maybe due to them the index was not updated
> and UIDs don't match. If after applying the correct permissions I
> still cannot see its contents, is there a way to recover the mails?
> the files are all still there.
>
> Sorry for the long email, but after several tries yesterday I
> exhausted my ideas.
>
> Regards,
> Olaf

Regards,