modify message with doveadm?

Frank-Ulrich Sommer f-u.s at gmx.net
Sun Sep 27 16:10:41 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm using dovecot with getmail and spamassassin. To re-learn false detected mails I created two folders and use an external script that checks the corresponding maildir directories for changes (with inotifywait). The mails found in these directories are passed to sa-learn (to re-learn the correct classification) and then moved back to the inbox or the spam folder.

To access the mail I use "doveadm search" (to find all mails in the two folders), "doveadm fetch" (to get the text and pass it to sa-learn) and "doveadm move" (to move the mail to the correct location.
This works as desired, except that a mail once marked as spam will forever be marked as such. Spamassassin has the -d option to remove the markup, but I need to replace the original mail with the cleaned version. The only idea I got was deleting that mail and importing the cleaned one, but as I want to implement several "special" folders for further functionality with different IMAP clients I would prefer a "cleaner" solution.

What would be the correct/best way to modify the mail body/header/text from an external tool?

Kind regards,

Frank