distuguish between different domains

Marco Fretz marco.fretz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:18:51 UTC 2015

On 28.09.2015 10:48, Andreas Meyer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Marco Fretz <marco.fretz at gmail.com> schrieb am 28.09.15 um 08:29:59 Uhr:
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to accomplish.
>>
>> smtp_server in roundcube is the outgoing server (submission server, i.e.
>> postfix). Mailbox is IMAP (dovecot).
>> You can easily spawn 2 instances of dovecot, one serving aaa.de and one
>> serving bbb.de on different IPs.
> How do I do this?
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/RunningDovecot
I do this by creating a 2nd startup script / systemd service
you can then use another dovecot config file and specify different
listen IPs (and Ports). This is also useful for different SSL certs per
domain / ip, etc.

>> What exactly is the problem with 2 domains on one dovecot? I mean user
>> @aaa.de usually does not have the password for @bbb.de and vise versa.
> What is irritating me is that when there are two domains served by
> dovecot, in the client I can specify server.aaa.de although I have
> an email-address user at bbb.de and connect as such.
>
> For my understanding it should not be possible to connect to server
> server.aaa.de with an address line user at bbb.de and dovecot serves
> the mailbox of that user.
the dovecot service does not care about the server dns name. the dns
name resolves to the IP address on the client (roundcube) and the client
connects to the server. if the same dovecot instance listens to all /
both IP address, client will end up on this dovecot instance and all
valid user-password combinations are authorized. that's the way it has
to be, otherwise virtual / mass virtual domain hosting would not be
possible as you cannot spawn 1000 instances on the same machine (ok, in
theory you could do that :D)