BUG: service(auth) crash when quota-status lookup an address with local-part starting with auth_master_user_separator

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 29 09:06:39 UTC 2015

On 29 Sep 2015, at 11:36, Marco Giunta <giunta at sissa.it> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using dovecot 2.2.15 (configuration attached below), and I 've enabled quota-status; when I try to look up the quota status of an address with the local-part starting with the same character as 'auth_master_user_separator', dovecot/auth crash:
>
> My 'auth_master_user_separator' is '*'
>
> Sep 29 08:51:41 my_server dovecot: auth: Panic: file auth-request.c: line 1252 (auth_request_set_login_username): assertion failed: (*username != '\0')

v2.2.17 fixes this crash, but a better fix would be to disale the separator for these lookups. I think something like this would work:

auth_master_user_separator = *
protocol quota-status {
  # disable
  auth_master_user_separator =
}

or alternatively enable master user separator only for imap:

auth_master_user_separator =
protocol imap {
  auth_master_user_separator = *
}