FreeBSD 10 & default_vsz_limit causing reboots?

Remko Lodder remko at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 15 16:06:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Op 15 september 2015 om 14:52 schreef Rick Romero <rick at havokmon.com>:
>

> Ok,
>
> So this is really more of an observation than anything else.
>
> I had a FreeBSD 10.1 server that was running great. Some SSL issue came up,
> or I upgrade Dovecot in ports - something occurred and the machine started
> rebooting randomly.  It would run for 2 weeks, then reboot.  It might run
> for 5 days and then reboot. So I started doing more FreeBSD upgrades,
> thinking it was a kernel issue. The reboots only increased.
>
> This weekend I started thinking I might actually be having hardware
> issues.  But, since I don't have easy physical access to the box and it's
> REALLY under loaded, I figured what the hell and upraded to 10.2 on
> Sunday.  I think it rebooted 4 times after that on Sunday, and then
> another 2 times Monday morning.
>
> Its worth noting that while I have crash dumps enabled, they don't seem to
> be occurring.  So hardware is still a possibility.

Jumping in at some point here, as FreeBSD dev I run most of my servers on
FreeBSD. All my mailservers are running FreeBSD.
My customer backend servers run Dovecot on FreeBSD. we have a few hundred
mailboxes (not that many). I upgrade all my packages
and system whenever there are updates and I figured out whether they are OK or
not. That means that I most likely do more upgrades
then you do at the moment.

I never ever had the symptoms you describe nor did I need to tweak settings.

Given this is a "FreeBSD"box crashing I thought I should reply. I think you need
to contact the FreeBSD devs (other then me) to ask what is going on.
Perhaps you can do a backtrace on the dump to see what was going on. If you
installed panicmail (a tool by Colin Percival) it will automatically create
an informative email which describes the issue more or less ..

Please poke me offline when I can help you more with that.

Cheers
Remko(@FreeBSD.org)