namespace...mailbox doesn't exist

Eric ebroch at whitehorsetc.com
Tue Apr 5 02:23:34 UTC 2016

Hello list,

I have a namespace called 'projects' which when clicked in Thunderbird
(nonexistent in eM Client) yields the following error:

"The current operation on 'projects' did not succeed. The mail server
for account
user at domain.tld responded: mailbox doesn't exist: projects.projects
(0.00 + 0.00 secs)."

The namespace is configure as follows:

# Shared namespace 'projects'
namespace {
    location = maildir:/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.tld/shared/projects
    prefix = projects.
    separator = .
    type = public
}

This is the log:
1: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: Effective uid=89,
gid=89, home=/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.tld/postmaster
2: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: Quota root:
name=ignore=Trash backend=maildir args=
3: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: Quota rule:
root=ignore=Trash mailbox=? bytes=0 messages=0
4: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: Quota grace:
root=ignore=Trash bytes=0 (10%)
5: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: Namespace :
type=private, prefix=, sep=., inbox=yes, hidden=no, list=yes,
subscriptions=yes location=
6: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: mdbox:
access(/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.tld/postmaster/mdbox, rwx): failed:
No such file or directory
7: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: mdbox: couldn't
find root dir
8: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: sdbox:
access(/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.tld/postmaster/sdbox, rwx): failed:
No such file or directory
9: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: sdbox: couldn't
find root dir
10: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: maildir: root
exists (/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.tld/postmaster/Maildir)
11: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: maildir++:
root=/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.tld/postmaster/Maildir, index=,
indexpvt=, control=,
inbox=/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.tld/postmaster/Maildir, alt=
12: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: Namespace :
type=public, prefix=projects., sep=., inbox=no, hidden=no, list=yes,
subscriptions=yes
location=maildir:/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.tld/shared/projects
13: Apr 04 20:00:30 imap(postmaster at domain.tld): Debug: maildir++:
root=/home/vpopmail/domains/domain.tld/shared/projects, index=,
indexpvt=, control=, inbox=, alt=

This did not happen with other versions of dovecot (I think) but just
started happening with the upgrade. While it is not
a serious problem and I can live with it, what would be causing it in
the new dovecot iteration (2.2.23) ? And, could it be
that I'm missing the necessary setting to mitigate this? Please let me
know if any additional information is necessary.

I'm thinking that the problem lies in lines 6/7 and 8/9 where Dovecot is
looking for mdbox/sdbox.

Eric