Slow reading of large dovecot-uidlist files

A.L.E.C alec at alec.pl
Tue Apr 12 08:23:15 UTC 2016

On 04/10/2016 10:27 AM, Adrian Minta wrote:
> It will be nice if the "SELECT MyMailbox" command will be "SELECT
> mymailbox LIMIT 100" or something, to get the first files since only the
> last messages are shown to the user.

SELECTing a mailbox has nothing to do with FETCHing messages, so above
does not make much sense.

I don't know dovecot's code, but I suppose it uses uidlist file to get
mailbox statistics that it returns as EXISTS, RECENT, UNSEEN, UIDNEXT,
UIDVALIDITY, etc, which are required by IMAP standard. I don't know,
maybe they could be stored in more optimized way, but I think in most
cases this data is also needed for SORT/THREAD/FETCH which is sent after
SELECT in many cases - so it will be needed anyway. There are cases
(e.g. mailbox synchronization) when you indeed do only SELECT.

--
Aleksander 'A.L.E.C' Machniak
Kolab Groupware Developer        [http://kolab.org]