dovecot Digest, Vol 156, Issue 44

Ron Cleven Ron at Cleven.com
Wed Apr 27 02:58:24 UTC 2016

>> >Would this release address the "reappearing emails" issue that 2.2.23
>> >introduced?
> I guess you're talking about replication. I'm not aware of any specific change in v2.2.23 that could have even potentially caused it. I also don't know how I could reproduce it. Can you use git bisect to find out the specific change that broke it?
>
> The only thing I remember even remotely related to this ishttps://github.com/dovecot/core/commit/950a6e61d6c2dac961ce031bdd8b2895bc32b827  but that was supposed to only fix things and I can't think of how it might break things.
>
> One possibility is that nothing broke this in v2.2.23. I've heard about the same issue for a long time. Maybe you just suddenly started having this problem now and it would have happened even with the old Dovecot version.

I was (perhaps one of) the people who reported "reappearing emails" with
2.2.10 in the context of Maildir with replication under CentOS 7.  I had
spent a great deal of time making it reproducible, difficult because
there was a timing element.  In that context, 2.2.23 absolutely fixed
the problem which was absolutely related to a timing issue with
replication.  If I remember right, this person was reporting a
similar-sounding problem, but it did not involve replication and was not
under CentOS 7.  Creating a script that reproduces the problem is an
important first step.  Good luck.