Doveadm Replicator problem with PAM passdb

Adam Joesbury adam at totalseoservices.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 14:18:32 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,

We are running two CentOS 7.2 servers with Sendmail 8.14.7 V10 and Dovecot
2.2.10 installed on both and are trying to configure Master-Master
Replication using doveadm replicator.

We are using system users with PAM authentication but are receiving the
following fatal error when dsync tries to run:

doveadm(user): Fatal: /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb: Configured passdbs don't
support crentials lookups (to see if user is proxied, because doveadm_port
is set).

Please could someone confirm whether it is possible to configure replication
using PAM passdb as the above error seems to suggest it isn't but we have
come across various people online who seem to have it working. I don't know
whether we need to create a master user or whether we need to create a
separate password file with a directory of all of our user's passwords? We
do have all the user passwords as they are only internal accounts that we
are servicing.

Thanks in advance

Output of dovecot -n:

# 2.2.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

# OS: Linux 3.10.0-327.13.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511
(Core)

auth_mechanisms = plain login

auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-userdb

doveadm_password = secret

doveadm_port = 12345

login_greeting = POP3-IMAP server ready.

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

mail_plugins = " notify replication"

mbox_write_locks = fcntl

namespace inbox {

  inbox = yes

  location =

  mailbox "Deleted Items" {

    auto = subscribe

    special_use = \Trash

  }

  mailbox Drafts {

    auto = subscribe

    special_use = \Drafts

  }

  mailbox "Junk E-mail" {

    auto = subscribe

    special_use = \Junk

  }

  mailbox Sent {

    auto = subscribe

    special_use = \Sent

  }

  prefix =

}

passdb {

  args = session=yes setcred=yes failure_show_msg=yes dovecot

  driver = pam

}

plugin {

  mail_replica = tcp:VMAILSERVER1:12345

}

pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh

service aggregator {

  fifo_listener replication-notify-fifo {

    mode = 0666

  }

  unix_listener replication-notify {

    mode = 0666

  }

}

service auth {

  unix_listener auth-userdb {

    mode = 0777

  }

}

service doveadm {

  inet_listener {

    port = 12345

  }

}

service replicator {

  process_min_avail = 1

  unix_listener replicator-doveadm {

    mode = 0600

  }

}

ssl_ca = </etc/pki/tls/certs/chain.crt

ssl_cert = </etc/pki/tls/certs/ca.crt

ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem

ssl_verify_client_cert = yes

userdb {

  driver = passwd

}