Sieve Script Replication Gliches (Report #2)

Reuben Farrelly reuben-dovecot at reub.net
Mon Aug 1 01:37:39 UTC 2016

On 1/08/2016 10:01 AM, Stephan Bosch wrote:
> Op 7/31/2016 om 4:27 AM schreef Reuben Farrelly:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've observed some odd behaviour with dsync replication between two
>> hosts, specifically to do with sieve script replication.

>> Has anyone else experienced the replication problem?  Are sieve
>> scripts actually replicating in live time for other 2.2.24/2.2.25
>> users as well?  For me I didn't notice this till I went looking so I
>> wonder if other people are experiencing this but just not aware of it
>> yet...?
>
> I will look at this more soon.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan.

Some further information.

On the primary host:

thunderstorm home # ls -al */sieve/rules.sieve
-rw------- 1 user1  user1  3570 Jul 31 11:45 user1/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw------- 1 user2  user2   175 Mar 15  2014 user2/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw------- 1 user3  user3   725 Jul 31 09:32 user3/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw------- 1 user4  user4     0 Jan  1  1970 user4/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw------- 1 user5  user5     0 Jan  1  1970 user5/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw-r--r-- 1 user6  user6  3719 Jul 31 11:24 user6/sieve/rules.sieve
thunderstorm home #

On the secondary host:

lightning home # ls -al */sieve/rules.sieve
-rw------- 1 user1  user1  3570 Jan  1  1970 user1/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw------- 1 user2  user2   175 Mar 14  2014 user2/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw------- 1 user3  user3   725 Jul 31 07:32 user3/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw------- 1 user4  user4     0 Jan  1  1970 user4/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw-r--r-- 1 user5  user5     0 Jan  1  1970 user5/sieve/rules.sieve
-rw-r--r-- 1 user6  user6  3719 Jan  1  1970 user6/sieve/rules.sieve
lightning home #

In other words, the rules did eventually get propagated across, and
based on the file sizes they are complete.

But there is obviously something amiss with handling of dates (which in
turn may relate to how the system determines that the file on each
server is up to date or not, I guess).  In this case the two systems are
in different timezones - the primary is GMT+10 and the secondary GMT+8.

Also the status of active users is not always replicated either.  On one
host the output of 'doveadm sieve list -A' shows my own account as
ACTIVE but the other host shows all users - except for my account - as
being active, and the sieve script for my account is not being replicated.

The other interesting thing is the output of:

dovecot sieve list -A

While (as I said above) the output of this command is doubled up on the
main host, it is not doubled up on the secondary host.

Reuben