service-specific userdb affecting lmtp, quota-service

Michael Fox news at mefox.org
Wed Aug 3 06:30:10 UTC 2016

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
>
> >> Update:
> >>
> >> I was able to eliminate the /var/log/mail.err error messages (shown
> below)
> >> by creating a userdb.quota-status and userdb.lmtp passwd-file.
> However,
> >> since userdb.pop3 and userdb.imap will have different extra-fields
> values
> >> for namespace (different namespace/xxx/inbox=yes values) I can't simply
> >> create userdb.quota-status and userdb.lmtp as the union of userdb.pop3
> and
> >> userdb.imap.  At a minimum, the extra-fields namespace info has to be
> left
> >> out.
> >
> > do LMTP and Quota-status fail, if you symlink them to the imap version?

I didn't try a symlink because I intend to have separate users in
userdb.pop3 and userdb.imap so I can control who has imap access.  To allow
the two user lists to be independent, I made a unique union of the pop3 and
imap userdbs and used that for quota-status and lmtp.

> BTW: your posted conf does not contain the virtual plugin and its
> namespace.

Correct.  As I put in the previous email, I didn't get to that point.
First, I just commented out the "inbox=yes" declaration from "namespace
inbox {}" and then added it to the userdb.imap extra-fields but got an
error.

How embarrassing.  I just discovered a syntax error.  I was using:
  userdb_namespace=/namespace/inbox/inbox=yes
Instead of:
  userdb_namespace/inbox/inbox=yes

Now that's working.

BTW, it turns out that both quota-status and lmtp need to see the value of
inbox=.  So I guess all of the userdb.%s files will include
userdb_namespace/inbox/inbox=yes, except for userdb.pop3 which will use
userdb_namespace/virtual/inbox=yes.

Next step is to configure the extra namespaces.

Thanks for your help so far Steffen.

Michael