New password hashing scheme as plugin

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Fri Aug 5 08:59:25 UTC 2016

On 02.08.2016 00:46, Andreas Meyer wrote:

>> it for
>> plugin in

>> the

>> message:

>> linked into

>> file) can
>> specify

>> register
>> would

>> Should
>> hashing

>> it?
>> different

>> --with-libsodium
>>>>

>> https://github.com/LuckyFellow/dovecot-core-libsodium/tree/2.2.25_libsodium_plugin

>> https://github.com/LuckyFellow/dovecot-core-libsodium/tree/2.2.25_libsodium_auth

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I had a look at your code and noticed you had tried to put it in
>> dovecot's tree. I would recommend making completely separate plugin of it.
>> It's not very hard, I can help you out there. It does not need to be in
>> src/plugins, the source supports fully external plugins that you can then
>> install separately.
>>> This would make it lot more easier to develop the plugin. I'll see if I
>> can make you a little skeleton to help you out with this, you can then use
>> it as basis for your auth plugin.
>>> Aki
>> https://github.com/cmouse/dovecot-password-scheme-plugin
>>
>> is the plugin template you can use. please see if it helps you out.
>>
>> Aki
>>

> Thank you very much for the skeleton. It really helped a lot.
>
> I created this repository and checked in my changes:
> https://github.com/LuckyFellow/dovecot-libsodium-plugin
> It compiles and installs fine. The auth module loads the plugin
> automatically on demand, the hashing schemes are available and they work.
>
> What do I need to do, so that you can include it as plugin?
>

> Regards,
> Andreas
We don't need to include it ourselves, you can tell people it exists
there, and they can compile it with their dovecot installation. We can
add wiki page for the plugin to guide people to your page.

It will be automatically included after make install, you can try it out
with

doveadm pw -s <scheme name>

Aki