Dovecot and Solr 6

Daniel Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Fri Aug 5 15:43:01 UTC 2016

On 7/7/2016 2:31 PM, KSB wrote:
> On 2016.07.06. 22:51, KSB wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Dovecot 2.2.24
>> Had set up solr and new schema collection. Copied dovecot provided
>> schema. There was an error with booleans (while getting schema via
>> http), which I "solved" by removing "add-unknown-fields-to-the-schema"
>> from solrconfig.xml. It is correct way to solve this?
>> Anyway, I run tcpdump to see network activity between dovecot and solr:
>> #tcpdump -i lo port 8983
>> and see nothing while doing:
>> #doveadm fts rescan -u username at domain.tld
>> no output also from doveadm.
>>
>> Noticed that dovecot.index.log reapears in user mail root if deleted.
>>
>> plugin {
>>   fts = solr
>>   fts_solr = url=http://localhost:8983/solr/dovecot/ debug
>>   ..
>> }
>>
>> --
>> KSB
>
> After some fiddling around, come in to conclusion that doveadm fts
> rescan is nothing to do about real indexing. So, it is working.
> Anyway, now thinking about what really differs when fts is used vs not
> used. 1 argument is speed, what else?
>
> --
> KSB
"doveadm fts rescan" resets pointers but does not itself trigger a
re-index.  But it makes the next actual index scan the full mailbox.

The whole point of FTS is "full-text-search".  So if you don't use it -
you don't need it.  But when large mailboxes are involved, searches
involving solr indexes are extremely fast compared to non-fts searches.

--
Daniel