Save user passwords in clear text

Michael Fox news at mefox.org
Sat Aug 6 02:39:41 UTC 2016

> Is it possible to save user passwords as clear text through dovecot? I am
> currently using MD5 passwords and I allow only "plain and login”
> mechanisms but I want to switch my database to clear text as this will
> give me the ability to use more mechanisms such as CRAM-MD5. Is this
> possible?

I'm not sure if this is what you mean by saving passwords "through dovecot".  But here's how to save a clear-text password when the passdb scheme is not plaintext.

Use the {PLAIN} prefix.  Example:

10-auth.conf:
  passdb {
    driver = passwd-file
    args = scheme=cram-md5 username_format=%n /path/passdb
  }

/path/passdb:
  username:{PLAIN}secret

User "username" can log in with password "secret"

Michael