[patch] Improved error checking for the dovecot-antispam-plugin

Harlan Stenn harlan at pfcs.com
Tue Aug 16 23:18:00 UTC 2016

On 8/16/16 1:24 PM, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hopefully this is the right channel for such a patch. I have a minor
> enhancement to submit for the antispam plugin
>
>   http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-antispam-plugin
>
> It adds minimal error checking for the sendmail_binary, otherwise the
> reported error in case of a missing binary or one with missing
> permissions is generic and not useful.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert

Robert, I like that you did this.

Beyond that and without even looking at the actual code, I'm curious why
you:

+    if (access(cfg->binary, F_OK) == -1)
+    {
+    mail_storage_set_error(storage, MAIL_ERROR_TEMP, "mail_sendmail
file does not exist");

instead of finding a way to include the value of cfg->binary in the
error message string.

This might not be needed if it's really obvious from the config file
what the path to the executable is, but if there is any doubt it might
be friendlier to show the exact path with the problem.  I'd also be
inclined to show the decoded value of errno instead of assuming that
'mail_sendmail file does not exist'.

Perhaps something along the lines of:

	"access(%s, F_OK) failed: %m", cfg->binary

if that makes sense.