Catch-all with LMTP and Postfix

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Mon Aug 22 19:00:02 UTC 2016

On 22.08.2016 21:53, Michael Starks wrote:
> On 08/22/2016 01:29 AM, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>> It seems your postfix is misbehaving. Did you forget to run postmap?
>>
>> Aki Tuomi
>> Dovecot oy
>
> Thanks for the response, Aki. I dug a little deeper and found this:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root    20 Jul 24 01:37 virtual_alias_maps ->
> /etc/postfix/virtual
>
> I had been postmapping virtual_alias_maps, but not virtual. I guess
> postmap doesn't follow links. When I postmapped virtual and did a
> 'postfix reload' it started to work.

Seems you accidentically replied to me only.

Postfix uses the filename you provide as name for the db file, so
running it against symlinks does follow the symlink, but it uses the
symlink name as what it uses to create the .db file.

You can test this by creating file and doing symlink for it and running
postmap against the symlink. You'll see that it will create
symlink-name.db file instead of file.db.

Aki Tuomi
Dovecot oy