Change dovecot hostname

Scott W. Sander scottwsx96 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 23:03:22 UTC 2016

Well, I tried setting the following in /etc/environment and restarting the
server:

DOVECOT_HOSTDOMAIN="mail.domain.test"

After doing so, I verified that the command "dovecot --hostdomain" returned
"mail.domain.test" and not "appserver4.domain.com"; however, the email
received header still shows:

LMTP id ....

I also tried adding the following line to
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf and restarting the dovecot service:

hostname = mail.domain.test

doveconf shows that "hostname = mail.domain.test", and now the received
headers show:

So it seems that "hostname" is a valid, respected Dovecot directive.

---
Scott